As an equine and ecology specialist, I have helped several local Colorado barns with various tasks as needed across all seasons.
Having grown up with an equestrian riding background, this hobby (turned side-job) helps to save up for the purchasing of land to adopt horses, accompanying a multitude of integrative agriculture practices.
Local Colorado Barns:
- St. Vrain Stables – Longmont, CO
- Private horse breeder – Laporte, CO
- Private cattle rancher – Johnstown, CO
- Meadowlark Integrated Healing Ranch – Longmont, CO
St. Vrain Stables – Longmont, CO
This is a small-sized private boarding barn. Months here were enjoyed caring for the horses, property, and stalls.
- Groomed and fed horses
- Refreshed waters
- Learned training tips from their barn manager
- This was a work-trade exchange for free riding around their nature trails that connect Longmont to Lyons
Private Horse Breeder – Laporte, CO
This a large-sized local, family business. They breed horse family lines to sell that have various daily care needs.
- Helped train young horses with simple gestures (ex. to understand when to back up from the gates)
- Fed horses (including small and large hay nets)
- Groomed horses and picked out hooves
- Refreshed waters and bedding
- Worked through all seasons, including snow and rain
Meadowlark Integrated Healing Ranch – Longmont, CO
A month at Meadowlark involved a wonderful time outdoors preparing therapy animals for the owner’s seasonal clients.
- Trained horses with a gentle hand, repetition, and fresh organic carrots
- Groomed their horses, including a miniature! Helped to shed winter coats. Washed mud off, picked hooves, detangled manes, etc.
- Weeded and gardened the property, including irises and rosebushes
Private Cattle Rancher – Johnstown, CO
This was a medium-sized horse and cattle operation. Short-term paid help until they were able to find other suitable candidates.
- Cared for their horses – standard chores
- Gained hands-on experience learning more about caring for cows
More details and photos coming soon!